On Wednesday May 11, at 7:30PM, Soundwaves presented composer Anne LeBaron. Her music ranges from solo harp improvisations to multimedia operas. It has been performed internationally and widely recorded. She has received Fulbright and Guggenheim grants and the Alpert Award, among other honors, and holds the Roy E. Disney Family Chair in Musical Composition at CalArts.
At the library she introduced performances of her work by some of Los Angeles’ most celebrated new music specialists: pianist Mark Robson, the Panic Duo (violinist Pasha Tseitlin and pianist Nic Gerpe), and the WasteLAnd ensemble, who The New Yorker’s Alex Ross recently called “one of the country’s most far-sighted” groups.
The concert featured “A – Zythum,” a piece commissioned by the Los Angeles Public Library Foundation in honor of the Oxford English Dictionary, which premiered in March at the Hammer Museum.
Videos of each piece and of LeBaron’s introductions are linked below:
- introduction to Four
- Four (2009) Pasha Tseitlin, violin
- introduction to A – Zythum
- A – Zythum (2016) WasteLAnd: Nicholas Deyoe, Artistic Director, Stephanie Aston, soprano, Andrew Dwan, baritone, Linnea Powell, viola, Nicholas Deyoe, banjo and guitar, Cory Hills, percussion, Mark Menzies, conductor
- introduction to Creación de las Aves
- Creación de las Aves (2012) Nic Gerpe, piano
- introduction to Los Murmullos
- Los Murmullos (2006) Mark Robson, piano
- introduction to Devil in the Belfry
- Devil in the Belfry (1993) Panic Duo: Pasha Tseitlin, violin, Nic Gerpe, piano